Friday, March 30, 2018

Grooming the Littles




We have 2 small dogs. August Rush and Divine Tuppance.  Both are Chinese Crested, August Rush is a Powder Puff (he has hair that if left alone will grown allmost all the way to the floor) and Divine Tuppance is what is called a Hairy Hairless (she has hair on her head, tail and feet but that is all.)  They are know as "the Littles" and "the Bugs."  August is often called "Dead Bug" because when you tell him it's time to get groomed, he rolls over on his back, sticks out his tongue and closes his eyes.  He plays dead!!  Divine is called "Little Bug" because she is just so small and loves to cuddle.  However, because they both have hair, they both need grooming so I have a grooming station that is set up in our dinning room.


The set up is a small folding table and a white plastice storage cabinet.  Since it's adjacent to the kitchen, they get their baths in the sink and then we walk over to the table to finish the grooming.  


Another view of the grooming station.  It's really a nice set up albeit small.  You use what you have, right? The white plastic storage cabinet really holds a lot of extra brushes, combs, shampoo, rinse, ear cleaners, and lots of other stuff.  


The top holds the combs, brushes and spray that I will use daily to brush them out before they head off to daycare.  There is also a small bath rug to lay on and underneath it is a mat to hold the rug in place.  The bottom of the grooming arm also helps to hold the rug down.  


I am looking for a lamp to add for added light and I though a clip on light would be perfect to add light and also to continue to hold down the rug,  plus it wouldn't take up valuable table top space, but I'm not sure that the clamp would go over both the run and the table top.  So I may end up with a table lamp after all.  Oh well, at the moment I can do without it.  

Both Little's have agreed that this new set up is not a good idea for them as it's just to easy to grab a dog without warning and plop them on the table and begin grooming them.  Before, I had to set it up and then take it down as the table was in the middle of the kitchen serving as an Island.  I love it, them not so much.

Do you groom your own dogs or do they go to a groomer?  

P.S. Hubby read my post and decided to solve my problem of the light.  What do you think of his solution?  I love it and he is my hero for being a Hubby/Protector and Problem solver.



6 comments:

  1. I love how August plays dead! Way to go on doing your own grooming. I do not groom Skye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Yes his "Dead Bug" act is just adorable! I have a wonderful groomer who has come over a few times to show me how to blend his cut or show me how to cut the hair between his pads without cutting his pads. She is wonderful! With her help, I will be able to groom my own dogs at least.

      Delete
  2. Had to laugh about August playing dead. I 'assume' August Rush is from the movie? We love it and have watched it at least 6 times. We have three cats so no grooming station here, but yours looks quite professional and hubby came up with a perfect solution for your lighting issue. We have cats but also love dogs. Yours are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes August is named after the movie and he was born in August so Perfect timing! We had cats for over 25 years but Hubby is allergic to cats so we finally moved to dogs.

      Delete
  3. That's a nice set up! We have one outside dog and don't really groom her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, I found your blog, so you can disregard my email. Love your grooming area and the light is great. We have one dog and we take her to be groomed, however I do give her baths. I just do it in the bathtub and she's pretty easy in the tub, except bending over kinda kills me. lol

    ReplyDelete