Friday, June 22, 2018

MY LOVE OF MOWING GRASS!

I mentioned that I was thrilled to be able to take back the yard work detail here at the homestead.  Most people were happy for me and hoped that I just took it easy and didn’t over do it.  Some were wondering about my willingness to mow while hubby was doing it.  Here’s my story.

Hubby and I have been married for almost 46 years. For most of that he has been a police officer. That meant that he worked rotating shifts, holidays and weekends. I have a cousin who is married to a fireman. That means that he works 24-36 hour shilft away from home and he too works weekends and holidays. We learned to take over and do things that were maybe considered “man work” but we didn’t think of it that way, we just did what needed to be done.

We started getting each other tools for birthdays and Christmas and even got each other tool boxes. We either could not find our husbands tools, or we didn’t know how to use them, so we started collecting our own. We leaned to make simple repairs at each other’s house and it was fun.  We started mowing the lawns because our men were either slipping or working and hubby discovered he couldn’t  breath when he mowed. I discovered that our kids never showed up while I was mowing to complain about anything because my answer was always the same “here pull some weeds, it will all be fine” I was left alone to think, pray, daydream, ponder what our yard would like or just listened to the quiet of mowing. I like it a lot. So it became my job which I loved.  Having to give it up hurt my heart. I’d been doing it for most of our 46 years together.

My heart is so glad to have this task back! I walk behind the mower and once again I find myself daydreaming, praying, and thinking about what the yard will look like after all the TLC it’s getting. My heart is happy again.

So enjoy what your heart is happy about.  Thank God for a happy heart!

4 comments:

  1. I fully understand what you are saying. Some things just make us happy. I love to cook. Big meals! It's my joy in life. In 2015 I required spinal surgery, which wasn't successful. I spent 3 years in constant pain, and the last surgery gave me a Staph Infection, which laid me up with an IV Port for four months. I am finally back to my much loved cooking and enjoying every minute. But so many of my friends do not understand my great love of stirring a pot over a hot stove! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story made me smile! I am really happy for you! I loathe yard work and when Joe's asthma made it miserable for him to mow, we hired it done. I refused because I knew it would become "my job" if I did it even once. LOL I am so glad your heart is happy, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a timely post! When we first moved here (Alabama) I hadn't considered what a job lay before us, keeping the grass at a manageable level. (Back in Arizona our 'yard' was pebbles, lol!) So far we've had a young man come mow, but that's getting pricy and my hubby's REALLY pushing to get a riding mower. (Frankly, I'm scared to pieces I'll wind up tipping it over like I did a snowmobile when I was 15!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! I'm glad that your heart is happy again. I use to love to mow the lawn.

    ReplyDelete